Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Diabetes, the diagnosis

Today truly is the first day of the rest of my life.  I saw the PCP today.  Good news.. most of my labs were perfect.. except for the one that I was afraid might be out of kilter.. that of the A1c which is slightly elevated and says I'm heading for Type 2 diabetes.. and then he saw my fasting glucose.. a whopping 128 !!!!! This should be under 100 to be high normal.  With those 2 factors together, he announced to  me that I am no longer Pre diabetic, I am full blown type 2 diabetic.  I'm not upset or unraveled..  In fact, it's a relief to be diagnosed so I can get the medication that will help me along.  I don't metabolize carbohydrates well, if at all.  I've suspected that for a while now.  In fact, I crave carbs so much, I could be manic about them.. but I'm never sated after eating them.  Dr Harry says it's because though I'm eating them, my body is not metabolizing them, and just turns all that food into fat and applies it liberally to my body and asks for more. 
So, when the pharmacy sends my meds, I'll be starting Metformin, an oral medication for diabetes.  Metformin is used in Europe as a weight loss drug, but in the US, we use it only for diabetes.  I should lose weight on this and get the glucose under control.  It's not totally outlandish now, but it could become so without treatment.
I now have my own glucometer.  I ate supper tonite and when I got home, tried it out.  My glucose was 128 after a meal.  That's not bad.  We shall see in the morning.  I plan to do several checks before my meds arrive.  The office was to fax it to the pharmacy so I could have a 3 month supply.
Pray this works.  He also told me that my muscle aches and pains should diminish or disappear with this, as that can easily be caused by the diabetes..
*My plan is to do something with exercise officially every day whether it's walking from one end of our trailer to the other, or a good walk around the perimeter.. maybe a dip in the pool at the Y.. we are long overdue there.
* Plan to eat better quality foods and watch those calories.. especially the carbs.
Here we go Marilyn, here we go!!

No comments: